NMUN•Rome Position Papers - Due 15 October
Please pay careful attention to the following guidelines when drafting and submitting your position papers. Only those delegations that follow the submission guidelines and meet the submission deadline will be eligible for position paper awards.
Position Paper Writing Guidelines
Each committee topic should be addressed in a succinct policy statement representing the relevant views of your assigned country, non-governmental organization (NGO), or expert role. You should identify and address international and regional conventions, treaties, declarations, resolutions, and programs of action that are relevant to the policy of your country or NGO. You should also include recommendations for action to be taken by your committee. A delegate’s role as a Member State, Observer State, or NGO should affect the way a position paper is written. To understand these differences, please refer to the Delegate Preparation Guide.
A position paper should be submitted for each assigned committee.
- The two page position paper should cover all the topics in the Background Guide, not a separate paper for each topic.
- Do not submit papers for committees not assigned to your country/NGO.
- No more than two delegates can represent a single country/NGO in a committee. If you assign two delegates to represent a country/NGO on a committee, they submit one position paper jointly, not separate position papers from each individual.
- NMUN position papers are not cited as is required for an academic paper. They are written as if they are a policy statement coming from the foreign ministry. While they may reference UN data or past UN Resolutions, like in our samples, formal citations are not used.
Please note that position papers must be comprised of entirely original writing. NMUN will not tolerate plagiarism, including copying from Committee Background Guides. Violation of this policy may result in dismissal from the conference. Although United Nations documents are considered within the public domain, we do not allow the verbatim re-creation of these documents.
Position Paper Formats
Follow the layout in our Sample Position Paper using the standards below:
- Length must not exceed two pages.
- Margins must be set at 1 inch or 2.54 cm. for the whole paper.
- Font must be Times New Roman sized between 10 pt. and 12 pt.
- Country/NGO name, school name, and committee name must be clearly labeled on the first page.
- Agenda topics must be clearly labeled in separate sections.
- National symbols (headers, flags, etc.) are deemed inappropriate for NMUN position papers.
- Convert your document to PDF format.
How to Submit Your Position Papers
Position papers need to be submitted by email in PDF format to email@example.com. As proof of submission, include yourself as an email recipient. Please use the committee name and your assignment in both the email subject line and in the filename (example: GA1_Cuba). Each position paper should be sent as a separate attachment.